I interviewed a friend who went through an emotionally abusive marriage. It’s just a casual conversation that I hope you’ll enjoy.
What I love about this friend named Andi (name changed for privacy) is that she is so level-headed about what happened. She communicates calmly and straightforwardly about some serious topics, even though I personally know that the process she’s gone through has been very painful and hard. Relational abuse and relational healing are never easy, and I hope that people can take courage through her story.
Physical abuse is often the only thing talked about when it comes to relationships, but emotional abuse can be just as painful for anyone to endure. It’s something we all need to deeply think about when thinking through issues of toxic people, healing, and boundaries.
*Trigger warning* This podcast mentions a brief moment of childhood sexual abuse. It also talks about the topic of emotional abuse inside marriage.*
In this podcast, the following things happen:
- Teryn shares a poem about Love and the questions that many are wrestling with about what Love means.
- Andi shares some childhood/teenage patterns of hurt that probably played into her abusive marriage.
- Andi shares about her marriage and the abuse she experienced.
- We talk about the signs of emotional abuse.
- We talk about the concept of empaths and narcissists, and how often empaths are attracted into relationships with narcissists.
- Andi shares a poem about her divorce and subsequent healing.